Today is our sixth wedding anniversary. It is by God's grace that we are able to celebrate six years together. At this point in our relationship, I cannot say I'll ever feel like an expert. But I do have a few tips for building a meaningful, healthy marriage:
- Pray together. We do not do this enough, but when we do, we are better off. Cal has taught me that prayer is the most important thing we do together. Making God the center, allowing Him to be the peacemaker, that is everything.
- Go on dates. Since our wedding day, we have been on a strict spending plan. Our goals were to pay off all debt, build a savings, and save for a house. Keeping that in mind, our dates have (almost) always consisted of low cost restaurants, coupons for movie tickets, free things, or at home dinners. Our work schedules don't allow us to have a regular date night each week, but we find a way to spend time together.
- Believe in each other. When I told Cal I wanted to start my wedding planning business, he was on board. When he comes to me with a complicated explanation of a class he wants to teach, I try my hardest to keep up. (In case you didn't know, Cal is waaaay smarter than me!) Be your spouse's biggest cheerleader. EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO PRETEND AT FIRST, you will buy into the dream and it will become your dream, too.
- Be honest about e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. If I go to the store and buy things I shouldn't (see point #2), I still tell Cal. I don't want him thinking I'm sneaking around, spending all of our money. (Trying to stay away from Target!) And I expect him to be truthful with me. Being honest about little things will help you be honest about the big issues.
- Keep talking about your relationship. I like to think of it as maintenance. Sometimes, we will just chat about how we are doing, both in our individual lives and our marriage.
- Choose love. You may look up one day and all the butterflies and lovey dovey feelings may not be there. Decide to love your spouse anyway. Loving your husband or wife every day is a CHOICE.
And now for some pictures from our honeymoon in Asheville, NC.
Cal, you have shown me what it means to be selfless, honest, and trusting. No other human will ever compare to you. I am thankful to God that you came into my life and I wish we could have met when we were little....you were a cute kid. Still cute.